Education / Workforce
Combine a quality education system with a strong, Midwestern work ethic and what do you get? One of the nation’s highest rated work forces located in the “Heart of America.”
- We offer a community college that is rated among the top 10% in the nation.
- As the trade hub for Northeast Nebraska, Norfolk has more than 58,000 workers available in our labor force.
- Nebraska high school students consistently achieve among the best average scores in the nation for both the SAT (Scholastic Achievement Test) and the ACT (American College Testing Assessment).
- The distance learning programs are unique to Nebraska with sophisticated learning available to high school students from statewide colleges and universities.
- Nebraska was voted #6 for Workforce Training Leaders by Business Facilities, July/August 2012
Customized Workforce Training
Northeast Community College can customize training to meet your business or organization’s needs. Training can be held at one of Northeast’s facilities or yours and will be arranged to fit your schedule to include various shifts if necessary. Please contact one of our staff members at (402) 844-7235 for more information about customized training.
Business and Industry Training Grants Available through the Nebraska Worker Training Program
The Nebraska Worker Training Program is a business incentive program to support the retraining and upgrading of Nebraska’s current workforce. Training is central to preparing Nebraskans to excel in the
workplace and marketplace today and in the future. The goal is to broaden the state’s skill pool through grants for training projects that help build productivity, enhance earning capacity and job security. Training improves the quality of our goods and services and provides skills needed in today’s workplaces that benefit Nebraska. Individual businesses decide the type of training needed and how long the training project will take. Companies also decide who will provide training.
All established, Nebraska, for-profit businesses that contribute to the State Unemployment Insurance Trust (SUIT) fund are eligible. Reimbursable employers to the state Unemployment System may participate if partnered in a consortium with contributory employers, with a significant percentage of those being trained coming from contributory employers.
The application consists of a one-page form that allows the Worker Training Board to review the business and the proposed training project. Northeast Community College will assist in the development and delivery of the training as approved.
Individual businesses as well as groups of businesses decide on the type and length of training needed. Grants are distributed on the basis of the business size, the type of industry, geographic location, and demand of the occupation. Employers must provide funds equal to or greater than the grant funds requested. Matching private funds, which exceed the grant funds requested, will be considered as an indication of the applicant’s commitment to training. Employee wagers or equipment used in training may be considered as an in-kind contribution.
For more detailed information please contact Tracy Melcher – Business and Industry Training Coordinator, (402) 844-7235, firstname.lastname@example.org
Below are the local educational facilities serving the tri-county region:
|• University of Nebraska-Lincoln||• Northeast Community College||• Wayne State College|
|• Battle Creek Public Schools
• Madison Public Schools
• Norfolk Public Schools
• Osmond Public Schools
• Pierce Public Schools
|• Plainview Public Schools
• Stanton Community Schools
• Elkhorn Valley Schools
• Wisner-Pilger Schools
Parochial High Schools
|• Lutheran High Northeast||• Norfolk Catholic Schools|
Parochial Grade Schools
|• St. John’s Lutheran (Battle Creek)
• Immanuel Lutheran (Hadar)
• St. John Lutheran (Madison)
• St. Leonard’s (Madison)
• Trinity Lutheran (Madison)
• Christ is King Community School (Norfolk)
• Christ Lutheran (Norfolk)
• Park Avenue Christian (Norfolk)
|• Sacred Heart Elementary (Norfolk)
• St. Paul’s Lutheran (Norfolk)
• Immanuel Lutheran (Osmond)
• St. Mary’s (Osmond)
• Zion Lutheran (Pierce)
• Zion Lutheran (Plainview)
• St. John’s Lutheran (Stanton)